March 30, 2012

The conundrum of Cloudberry Jam

Hjortronsylt


I gave my friend a bunch of food when we moved interstate. On my return six months later some of the items were unceremoniously given back to me.

"So... I'm gonna give you back that weird that jam because I don't know what to do with it".

The offending strange jam was a jar of Hjortronsylt aka Cloudberry Jam from IKEA

I grew up eating this lovely golden jam by the bucketful. My mother makes the best cloudberry jam in the world. It has whole red and orange yellow berries suspended in the most luscious sweet syrupy liquid. The version from IKEA is quite hard set but still has a distinct cloudberry taste.

For Miss S, should you ever stumble across this condiment again, here are my top favourite ways to use it:


1. Served with Swedish oven baked pancake. Slather knobs of butter on pancakes, dollop jam generously over the top. Enjoy! I might need to add a Swedish pancake recipe here shortly...

2. Served in yoghurt for breakfast. Stir in a spoon or three and enjoy. If you are lucky enough to get hold of Swedish Fil (like a thicker milder version of Kefir made with cow's milk) it's the best.

3. Warmed and served on top of vanilla ice cream

And a final note. I would never, and I mean never, use it as marmalade on toast. That's not to say it's wrong or would taste bad that way. In my book and for many other Swedes, it's just not how you eat it.

1 comment:

  1. Thats nice to know my hard work picking the cloudberries is then enjoyed after Ive made the jam.
    Mamma

    ReplyDelete