June 26, 2010

Nathan's Pav

Pavlova on plate

Every birthday for as long as I can remember my mum has made me a Pavlova. Topped with luscious folds of whipped cream and scattered with crimson summer strawberries, passionfruit and maybe some kiwi it is heaven on earth. Not to mention the spongy light marshmallow inside. Yum! Since I moved to Australia though I haven’t really had Pav’s for my birthday. That is until I met N. Sometime last year my very forthright mother decided to tell him about the Pavlova tradition, insisting that he bake one for me. I really didn’t think he’d do it but boy was I wrong. He presented me with a beautiful little Pavlova on the day. And one year later for my birthday another one has followed. He has adapted several recipes to make his own version.

Recipe...

Nathan’s Pav
Makes 1 small Pavlova, enough for 4-6 people

Method:
Start with clean, dry equipment. Rinse a glass bowl with boiling water and wipe with paper towel.
Sift caster sugar as you weigh it.
Egg whites – make sure no shell or yolk get into the egg white mix.
Use grease proof paper to secure the baking tray. Use a little smidge of Pavlova mix to hold it down in the corners.

Inredients:
4 Egg whites
220 g caster sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tbs cornflour
1 vanilla pod

Beat whites approximately 10 minutes adding sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until completely dissolved. Add 1 tsp white vinegar, 1 tbs cornflour and seeds from 1 vanilla pod that has been halved and seeds scraped out. 
Draw an 18 cm circle on the baking parchment. Spread mixture inside circle and use spatula to draw furrows up towards the middle. Flatten pav on top.
Pavlova blogg2

Bake in 140 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes and then turn down heat to 110 degrees Celsius and bake for a further 1,5 hours. Leave to cool with oven door open.

Decorate with whipped cream and top with fruits or berries. Nathan served his Pavlova with Queensland strawberries and chocolate curls.

Pavlova birthday

1 comment:

  1. Well what a nice pavlova he made for you. N`s cooking and baking skills are getting better and better. He made that lovely choclate pie for me when he visited us in Sweden last year and that was yummy. I´ll have to think of a new receipe he can learn to do. A indisk madras curry maybe. Just joking N. And as you don´t know who wrote this i´ll sign off anonymous M.

    ReplyDelete